ABOUT

Testbeds

Testbeds

5G-IANA will utilize 2 different 5G SA test networks. One in City of Ulm (Germany) operated by NOKIA where all UCs will be demonstrated and one in Ljubljana (Slovenia) operated by TS where UC7-SACBT will be demonstrated.

NOKIA operates an LTE/5G test network in Ulm, Germany. The on-air testbed consists of 5 sites – with 3 radio cells each -, a highway (B10), a high-speed train line (S21) and major parts of the city of Ulm.

TELEKOM SLOVENIJE will provide a dedicated 5G infrastructure located at its premises in Ljubljana for the purpose of the 5G-IANA project’s demonstrations and will serve also as a future 5G environment for TS. The infrastructure consists of a cloud and virtualisation environment, network connectivity, 4G – LTE radio access network (CA, Nb-IoT, VoLTE,) as well as 5G radio access network and 5G ready core network based on EPC extensions.

The 5G-IANA platform will be available via two 5G testbeds, one operated by Nokia (Germany) and one operated by Telecom Slovenia, and will be available for remote access through secure connection.

Nokia operates an LTE/5G test network in Ulm, Germany. Four antenna sites are connected with optical cables to the 5G base station (gNB) located in the Nokia laboratory. The 5G core’s User Plane Functions (UPFs), which are responsible for routing and forwarding user data between the gNBs and the external Data Networks (DN), are also located in the Nokia laboratory. So is the EDGE Server, on which Data Networks (DNs) for 5G-IANA are hosted. The EDGE Server provides computing resources at the “edge” of the mobile network and close to the mobile user.

Network Slicing is used to allocate network resources to fulfil the requirements of specific services. Nokia provides two preconfigured network slices – one low priority Enhanced Mobile Broadband (eMBB) with 5GI 7 and one high priority Vehicular to Everything (V2X) with properties similar to 5GI 79. In high load scenarios, the V2X slice gets approximately 75% of the radio resources allocated and the eMBB slice the remaining 25%. In scenarios, in which only one slice is used, up to 100% of a cell capacity can be allocated to this slice.

Figure 1: Sector cells at antenna site DRK and the cell capacities at the parking lot for UC testing. (map picture source: OpenStreetMap)

The area at antenna site “DRK Ulm” is predominately used for the 5G-IANA use case testing. Figure 1 indicates the two of the three available sector cells of this site, and the enclosed parking area near this antenna site, which can be reserved for use case testing. Each cell sector operates in the frequency range from 2575-2615MHz (band b38 resp. band b41/TDD) with an UL/DL radio resource split of 30/70, providing in areas of good signal reception a maximum cell DL throughput rate of approximately 100Mbps and a maximum cell UL throughput capacity of approximately 9Mbps. The average round-trip-time (RTT) between a UE and the EDGE-Server is below 20ms. The cell range is approximately 2km.

If you want to learn more about the Nokia testbed, you can watch the video here.

Moreover, Telekom Slovenije provides a second testbed, which is located at Telekom premises in Ljubljana (Figure 2). The 5G infrastructure consists of Cloud and virtualization environment, Centralized Edge, Network connectivity, 2 dedicated indoor 5G NR micro cells, 5G ready core network based on EPC extensions, 5G SA Core, and 4G – LTE radio access network (CA, Nb-IoT, VoLTE).

Figure 2: Outdoor coverage near Vojkova 78 location in Ljubljana

The cloud and virtualization infrastructure is the main compute, storage and network power of the facility. It serves as a container for deployment of AFs/NFs. The mobile core is deployed on top of the cloud virtualization platform, with all virtual packet core functions. The Radio Access Network (RAN) is connected to the mobile core network, residing in the cloud/virtualization environment.

In Ljubljana testbed two indoor locations are available. One of them is indoor garage where vehicle testing can be performed. Both locations have same radio configuration with two indoor cells each. One cell has frequency range 3420-3520 MHz (5G NR band b78, BW 100MHz, TDD) and the other has frequency range 1840-1860 MHz (LTE Band b3, BW 20MHz, FDD). Maximum cell DL throughput rate is approximately 660Mbps and a maximum cell UL throughput capacity is approximately 100 Mbps. The average round-trip-time (RTT) between a UE and the EDGE-Server is 15 ms

If you want to learn more about the Telekom Slovenia testbed, you can watch the video here.