1 Specify and provide an Automotive Open Experimental Platform (AOEP).
The 5G-IANA AOEP consists of following main components:
- The 5G-IANA Network Applications Orchestration and Development framework (NOD), the Slice Manager (SM) and the Multi-domain Service Orchestrator (MSO);
- The virtualized infrastructure domains: OBU, RSU, MEC nodes, Cloud resources;
- The 5G-IANA Network Applications toolkit linked with a new Automotive VNFs Repository.
- A Distributed AI/ML (DML) framework, as part of the VNFs Repository.
2 Specify and implement a repository environment for Network Applications and VNFs to ease the design and chaining of new Automotive-related services – to be integrated with 5G-PPP open repositories
- 5G-IANA will provide a set of VNFs (communication and baseline) and predefined Network Applications (“starter kit”/templates) that will make easier for new entrants and especially SMEs or start-ups to design and create their own 5G Automotive-relates application and services on top of existing services.
- 5G-IANA will develop the Automotive VNFs Repository specifications. Based on these specifications, the Repository will be developed and integrated with 5G-PPP repositories.
3 Provide accurate localization and low latency mission-critical applications:
- 5G-IANA will utilise the NOD framework and the SM/MSO to deploy several cutting-edge Automotive functionalities allowing to accelerate the development of fully automated driving vehicles.
- Beyond GNSS and RTK, multisensory positioning and Position and Time VNFs will deliver increased positioning accuracy.
- VNFs and the proposed DML framework will allow QoS prediction and management to provide low latency connectivity for mission critical scenarios
4 Define, implement and trial Connected and Automated Driving relevant Use Cases to validate and assess the AOEP suitability and functional improvements.
- The AOEP will form an enhanced Automotive-related experimentation infrastructure (together with the vehicles) where the 5G-IANA Network Applications Toolkit and the VNFs Repository will provide functionalities for easing the design and chaining of new Automotive-related services.
- The AOEP will be validated though 7 Use Cases. The capabilities of 5G-IANA solutions will be validated by external SMEs through mini-projects.
5 Improve service creation time (5G-PPP KPI)
- The 5G-IANA AOEP components are designed to deploy Automotive services with extremely low service creation time2 (instantiation and re-configuration).
- Services will be developed with Network Applications and VNFs.
- The Service Creation Time KPI specified for each Use Case will be assessed during defined trials.
6 Create new business opportunities and boost market for start-ups and SMEs with Automotive Network Applications
- 5G-IANA solutions will make easier for new entrants to design and create their own application and services on top of existing Automotive services and application templates.
- 5G-IANA Network Applications toolkit and the developed Automotive VNFs Repository can be further leveraged by other developers to develop new businesses in the Automotive area.
- 5G-IANA will combine research on business models for SMEs especially on 5G enabled Automotive services; it will guide SMEs reaching market place in a reasonable time frame and very likely during 5G-IANA framework.
7 Increase road safety by leveraging Connected and Automated Mobility using enhanced network performances:
- 5G-IANA will provide increased safety or improve traffic with real-time traffic data to vehicles coming from both vehicles and RSUs thus optimising routes and shortening the time-to-destination. This will contribute to reduce emissions and increase safety (real time hazard notification related data).
- Automated driving is expected to foster car sharing mobility models so that 5G-IANA is also expected to reduce traffic volume combining with smart route planning and parking services. The AOEP will create a very flexible and agile service creation environment reacting very quickly to service demands.
8 Ensure cross-domain and cross-platform interoperability and boost standardisation committees on NFV and Network orchestration.
- 5G-IANA focus on standardisation is to ensure interoperable deployment of Network Applications beyond vendor-specific implementation and across multiple domains, through active participation of 5G-IANA standardisation experts in selected Technical bodies and Working Groups.
- Cross-domain and cross-platform interoperability will be showcased in 5G-IANA by deploying and validating AOEP and its components in 2 different 5G SA experimental facilities.